Monday, May 18, 2015

Rhubarb Custard Pie -and Rhubarb Recipe Round-Up

This Rhubarb Custard Pie is an honest and true 'old time' recipe that was totally new and very different for us, we thought it was great! The custard is creamy and smooth, there's the warmth of nutmeg, the great pucker power of rhubarb and (for the baker) the ease of no top crust. I'm sure it would be beautiful with red rhubarb but mine is green and I'm determined to use what Mother Nature gifted me:@)
The recipe is fantastic as is but I also think a handful of raisins would be a nice addition, 
and for some reason a little vanilla sounds good too...
Really good stuff folks!

Rhubarb Custard Pie-from Taste of Home
4 C rhubarb, cut approx 1/2" thick
1 - 1 1/2 C sugar-I used 1 C
2 eggs
2 Tblsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp nutmeg-sounds like a lot for our taste, I just grated some in
9" pie crust
  1. Spoon rhubarb into pie crust.
  2. Mix sugar, eggs, cornstarch and nutmeg well. Drizzle custard all over the rhubarb.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees for approx 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.

11 comments:

  1. I've got to try rhubarb Lynn! I've only seen the red in the grocery store and at the farmers market :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to make a rhubarb pie, but when I suggested it to Bill, I got the expected response :( I may have to make a small crisp just for me!! But I'm still craving a slice of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making this foreign rhubarb sound very tempting Lynn ! Rhubarb butter? I might just have to try this!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure wish I could have a slice of your pie, Lynn, as it looks so good! Your family is so lucky to have you making such wonderful treats for them. I'm sure they look forward to every Sunday at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn, Your pie looks fantastic! I have made rhubarb pie that is a custard pie from the old red and white checked cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens) - the one I received as a wedding gift in 1976. It too is delicious. I also have a rhubarb bar I make; it's called "Rhubarb Meringue." My neighbor recently made and shared a strawberry rhubarb pie and oh, was it ever good! I have plenty of rhubarb in the garden and I need to use it and maybe freeze some for later. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. rhubarb makes my mouth water! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here lately, I've seen reddish pink rhubarb at the grocery. Your recipes are a great resource--and your pie makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm making your rhubarb crumb pie tonight :-) I love rhubarb season!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that does look good! I've found that I really love rhubarb custard desserts! Pinning this one to my rhubarb board to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would just love your pie, Lynn. I love Rhubarb dishes and this looks like a great pie! Thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love rhubarb and always have some in my freezer. Special favorite is strawberry-rhubarb pie. My son can't have seeds, so I found that I can dust the rhubarb pieces with strawberry Jell-O and get the taste and the thickening in one fell swoop. Mother used to do something she called "Stewed Rhubarb" that was yummy served warm over ice cream or over an unfrosted cake. Well, now I'm really craving rhubarb. Thanks for the custard idea! Hadn't thought to try that, although I have been thinking of adapting my Sour Cream Apple Pie recipe for rhubarb. Oh my! I just looked to the left and saw Bacon Pickle Ketchup. I'm off again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!